Friday, March 17, 2006

Danny Boy


Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! This is one of my favorite days of the year. I am dressed in green from head to toe. I came in early to the office played some Irish Music and shared soda bread with other Irish colleagues. I would love after work to head to an Irish pub and tell stories until the wee hours of morn, but The Brooklyn half is tomorrow.

It also makes me miss my favorite person to spend this day with my Pop-Pop. Daniel Joseph Mckinney would have been 89 years old on May 19th. He was one of my best friends as well as my grandpa. He was born in Brooklyn into a family of cops. He could get you laughing with a wink and smile. He told the best stories. And he drank serveral martinis a day. In fact the night he died he had 2 martinis and went to bed and that was it. He was the stero-typical Irish guy.

So I missed him so much that yesterday I asked him to send me a sign. I thought maybe he would send me a dream or something. I awoke disappointed, no dream. But as I was leaving for work I opened the hall closet and out fell his old tape measure onto to my foot. Ouch! This is so him he loved practical jokes. I just picture him saying "you want a sign here you go!" SO corny I know but it is all I got. Sorry the picture of him is so bad it is the only one I have on line .